Well it’s been 24 hours since Star Wars The Old Republic went live, and for the most part the gamers have been having a blast. The biggest issue gamers have run into are queue times on many servers. While this was expected BioWare is hard at work adjusting and tweaking server caps and says they will continue to work out the queue issues. Though if you still haven’t started your quest your best bet is to pick a low population server.
That being said I’m sure many are wondering what is next for the game. What should we expect from BioWare over the next weeks and months? Well there was a little blog post on the SWTOR that kinda flew under the radar that had some insight on what the team is working on. The key points are:
- New Content – We will be adding new content to the galaxy on an ongoing basis. These worlds will include Operations, Flashpoints and solo content.
- Guild Functionality – Guilds are important to the long term health of any MMORPG. We have a huge list of guild centric features. This will be an ongoing effort that will probably never end. Guild banks are the first thing we’ll be delivering in our plans for increased guild functionality. Eventually we even want to deliver on the promise of the long hinted at “Guild Capital Ships”.
- UI customization – You like choice. We hear you! SWTOR is all about choice. Being able to choose how you interact with an online game is something we feel is very important. We are going to be giving more control over the UI as an ongoing effort. This is a very big priority for us.
- PvP – We have an entire team dedicated to adding content and features to player vs. player. We have some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world on this team. So far very few people have seen, or know much about the stunning Open World PVP on Ilum; when you get to the high levels prepare to be blown away! In addition to that high level PVP content, expect new Warzones and new PvP features on a regular basis.
- Space Combat – We will continue to add missions to the space game. We also have a special project going on right now that will expand space gameplay in a significant way… for now the details will have to remain under wraps.
- Legacy System – The ability to select a surname for your character is just the start of something much bigger. Soon, the Legacy experience and levels you earn will grant your characters access to powers, objects and other cool benefits.
- And more – We have an entire team of developers working on future content. Right now we are focused on nothing else but Star Wars: The Old Republic, so expect new and cool things.
The changes to space combat interest me the most. While I love space combat now as it feels like one of my old favorites X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, I wonder what exactly they have planned, maybe group space combat, maybe pvp, maybe some sort of open world space? Time will tell. Other changes I’d like to see is an overhaul of the Trade Network, it just feels clunky right. I would also like to see crafting streamlined a bit, right now even at a low level the number of schematics I have is enormous, another crafting change is the ability to do the crafting yourself, otherwise as it stands it’s very hard to find work through the trade channel, since people will then have to wait for your crew to craft the items. Those are just a few ideas of the many that I have, what about you all what changes do you want to see?